Plant GM – Operations - Lean Transformation – full Manufacturing P&L
Architectural Building Products – Newark, NJ metro region
Founded in the late 1940’s, and very much the industry pioneer, our client has grown into one of the largest and best known purveyors of complex architectural building products in North America. The company consistently outpaces its competition with innovative and trusted brands and patented designs available across a broad distribution network of building-supply (Home Depot) and specialty dealers and retailers, and both residential and industrial construction contractors.
The company is wholly-owned by one of the world’s largest independent manufacturers and distributors of architectural building products and systems, and has just begun to transform its culture with LEAN principles and practices as based on the Toyota Production System, across all U.S. plants.
We’re searching for a new General Manager (plant operations management, full manufacturing P&L) for the company’s largest and most complex manufacturing unit, located in the Newark, NJ metro area. The GM will be responsible for planning and execution of all plant activities, including cultural transformation focused on engagement, responsibility and accountability in all areas of the company’s business. LEAN change leadership will play a critical role in the GM’s success.
Are you the right person to lead this successful, dynamic business to unparalleled customer satisfaction and profitable growth? Can you build an outstanding professional and personal future by earning recognition and reward from transforming this organization into a world-class LEAN Enterprise?
Why You Want this Position
•Imprint your creativity and passion on a great organization, in an environment where: associates are safe, engaged and sharing in success; perfect orders get to customers fast; business objectives and operational execution truly align with voice of the customer; “stronger together” purpose creates competitive advantage; the resulting organization is clearly the easiest and best to do business with.
•Make an immediate, highly-visible impact by leading change for long-term, sustainable Lean operations and culture transformation.
•Work in a place where success is defined not only by performance and results, but also by truly living company values of safety, integrity, teamwork, innovation, excellence, individual dignity and corporate citizenship.
•Enjoy personal recognition for your achievements, and build your future with excellent professional growth opportunities.
The General Manager will drive leadership and execution of all plant operations, ensuring plant is aligned with overall corporate business objectives, has flexibility and capacity to support customer demand, and effectively balances and leverages fixed cost structure with optimal variable resources. Utilizing effective organizational planning and development leadership, the General Manager will transform how the organization deploys assets, both human and physical resources, to deliver targeted results for engagement, accountability, productivity, continuous improvement, growth and profitability. Direct reports include Plant Manager and functional managers of: shipping; maintenance; purchasing; human resources; scheduling; quality; safety; continuous improvement. Position reports to VP Operations & Supply Chain. In somewhat more specific detail, the Plant GM will:
• Provide exceptional leadership to accomplish strategic annual business and tactical objectives in an empowered, team-based environment.
• Drive breakthrough operational performance improvements utilizing principles and practices of LEAN, while ensuring customer satisfaction with high quality products delivered on-time.
• Direct and coordinate budgets and forecasts to provide funding for new or continuing operations, special projects, growth initiatives, thereby maximizing ROI and increased productivity.
• Build, develop and lead functional teams and value streams to meet business objectives including: delivering the perfect order; creating an environment and culture of safety; and attaining stretch metrics in areas such as quality, delivery and cost reduction.
• Ensure organization’s development and continuous improvement of technical and management capabilities/skills in direct reports, addressing individual development needs and performance issues, building an environment of high employee satisfaction and morale.
• Foster customer value and focus, coordinating and delivering operational support for business development and customer relationship building, and effectively represent the business unit in various interactions with all stakeholders and the local community.
What You Bring to the Table
We require a minimum of BS/BA degree; engineering, manufacturing, or related field preferred. We need to see a strong track record of progressively more responsible hands-on manufacturing experience in a complex, discrete assembly manufacturing environment, with at least 5-6 years in a senior manufacturing/operations leadership role. You must have:
• Demonstrated leadership in maintaining the highest levels of integrity and ethics in business and personal practices.
• Proven success in hands-on P&L management of large plant (say 500+ associates, perhaps $100 million+ revenue), or multi-site operations.
• Consistent track record of execution (results, accountability), successfully delivering year over year performance improvement.
• Strong leadership, communication, problem-solving and interpersonal skills.
• Leadership experience in culturally diverse union team based manufacturing environment.
• Demonstrated success implementing LEAN manufacturing principles, practices and techniques – the ability to drive a sustainable LEAN cultural transformation.
• Demonstrated ability to plan and organize manufacturing operations and effectively resolve manufacturing issues.
• Experienced in strategic planning, budgeting, and timely decision-making.
Please connect directly with Adam Zak, Adam Zak Executive Search, who has been retained to conduct this executive search +1 (847) 304-5300
Please respond to resume@LeanRecruiter.com This position description has been posted at http://LeanJobsBlog.com. Our main Web site is http://LeanRecruiter.com You can also connect with Adam at on Twitter or via LinkedIn (see Links sidebar at right).